Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives
in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same,
SECTION 1. Notwithstanding any provisions of section two of chapter eighty-five of the General Laws or any other general or special law to the contrary, the city council of the city of Pittsfield is hereby authorized to prohibit by ordinance heavy commercial traffic from Crane avenue in said city. Said prohibition shall not apply to the following:
(1) commercial vehicles going to or from premises situated on Crane avenue or to which vehicular access cannot be had except by the use of Crane avenue;
(2) commercial vehicles belonging to the city or operated by or in connection with city departments; or such vehicles belonging to or operated by public service corporations, public utility corporations, or private corporations in performance of contractual service to the city in connection with work required to be done on Crane avenue;
(3) police or fire department vehicles, ambulances, or other emergency vehicles;
(4) vehicles engaged in collecting or distributing United States mail; and
(5) that portion of Crane avenue between Route 8 and Oak Hill road.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect upon its passage.