Chapter 111 of the general laws, as appearing in the 2008 official edition, is hereby amended by inserting after section 142O the following section:-
Section 142P. (a) There shall be a Pollution Public Health Effects Mitigation Trust Fund to support research and education regarding the health impacts of pollution on citizens of the commonwealth. The fund shall be administered by the commissioner. Expenditures from the fund shall be only for the purposes set forth in subsection (d).
(b) Revenues credited to the fund shall be from the following sources:
(1) funds appropriated by the general court;
(2) funds received from federal, state or other sources for the purpose of evaluating the health impacts of pollution;
(3) costs recovered or otherwise received from parties responsible for violating the terms of any valid air emissions permit;
(4) fees imposed pursuant to subsection (c); and
(5) interest earned on any monies in the fund.
(c) (1) A pollution mitigation fee shall be established in an amount not less than 20 cents for each pound of any air pollutant emitted by any major source as defined in 42 U.S.C. section 7412(a). The fee shall be remitted to the department of revenue on the last day of each month based on the amount of air pollutants emitted during the preceding month.
(2) An owner of a major source of any air pollutant shall be liable for the fee until it has been paid to the commonwealth.
(3) All fees collected pursuant to this section shall be deposited in the fund and shall be disbursed for the purposes set forth in subsection (d). The state treasurer shall not deposit or transfer revenues generated pursuant to subsection (b) to the General Fund or any other fund other than the Pollution Public Health Effects Mitigation Trust Fund.
(4) The commissioner shall set the amount of the pollution public health mitigation fee, which shall be not less than 20 cents for each pound of any air pollutant emitted by each major source.
(d) The commissioner shall use money from the fund:
(1) to provide funds for the study of the public health impacts from air pollutants, including but not limited to acute local impacts such as asthma, upper respiratory conditions or premature death; such research or studies may be conducted by the department or by a qualified independent medical or public health expert, organization or educational institution;
(2) to educate the public in the vicinity of any existing or proposed major source of any air pollutant regarding the actual or potential health impacts associated with air pollutants emitted by such major source;
(3) to provide funds for research regarding methods or technologies for mitigating health impacts associated with the emission of air pollutants; and
(4) reasonable administrative and personnel expenses related to the administration of the fund and enforcement of this section.
(e) The commissioner shall administer the fund in accordance with this section. The commissioner shall develop procedures governing the expenditure of, and accounting for money expended from, the fund and shall also maintain accounting records showing the income and expenses of the fund. The commissioner shall ensure that there are adequate moneys available in the fund to carry out this section.
The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The General Court provides this information as a public service and while we endeavor to keep the data accurate and current to the best of our ability, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.