Amendment #93 to H.3382
Representatives Cabral of New Bedford and Silvia of Fall River move that the bill be amended by inserting the following sections:
SECTION X. Chapter 90 of the General Laws, as appearing the 2010 edition, is hereby amended by adding the following sections:
Section 34S. For purposes of sections 34T only, the registrar shall issue rules and regulations to classify all vehicles required to be registered by this chapter into the following categories: zero emission vehicle, motorcycle, automobile, hybrid automobile, light truck, heavy truck, hybrid truck, sports utility vehicle, hybrid sports utility vehicle, van, luxury vehicle, motor home, trailer, other emission producing vehicle and rental vehicle, which shall include all vehicles intended as of the date of registration to be used as a rental vehicle. Said categories shall be known collectively as registration classes. When any such vehicle is first registered pursuant to this chapter, the registrar shall identify said vehicle as a member of one such registration class.
(a) The registrar or his authorized agents shall collect the following fees, to be called green fees, each time a vehicle is registered or the vehicle registration is renewed for any reason, in the following amounts:
(1) For every automobile, hybrid truck and hybrid sports utility vehicle the fee shall be $30 for a new or transfer registration and two year renewals, $15 for vehicles renewing annually.
(2) For every hybrid automobile and motorcycle the fee shall be $15 for a new or transfer registration and for two year renewals, $7.50 for vehicles renewing annually.
(3) For every light truck, van, luxury vehicle and sports utility vehicle the fee shall be $60 for a new or transfer registration and for two year renewals, $30 for vehicles renewing annually.
(4) For every heavy truck, motor home and bus the fee shall be $85 for a new or transfer registration and for two year renewals, $42.50 for vehicles renewing annually.
(5) For every other emission producing vehicle the fee shall be $60 for a new or transfer registration and for two year renewals, $30 for vehicles renewing annually.
(6) Zero emission vehicles and any vehicle owned by any subdivision of the commonwealth and used solely for official business and any vehicle identified in subsections 29, 30 and 33 of section 33 of chapter 90 shall be exempt from the green fee.
SECTION XX. Chapter 29 of the General Laws, as appearing the 2010 edition, is hereby amended by adding the following section:
Section 2JJJJ. There shall be established and set up on the books of the commonwealth a separate fund to be known as the Massachusetts Rail Transit Fund, which shall be used exclusively for financing new light or heavy rail projects and the resulting new service. There shall be credited to the fund all fees received by the registrar of motor vehicles under section 34T of chapter 90 and all amounts appropriated into the fund by the general court. The fund shall be used solely for the purpose of providing rapid transit light rail or commuter rail service to neighborhoods not currently served by the type of rail service being proposed, including to pay or reimburse the General Fund for payment of debt service on bonds issued by, or otherwise payable under a lease or other contract assistance agreement by, the commonwealth for said purposes.