SECTION 1. Chapter 272 of the General Laws is hereby amended by adding the following section:--
(a) The purpose of this section, subject to exceptions, is to prohibit the confinement of farm animals in a manner that does not allow them to turn around freely, lie down, stand up, and fully extend their limbs.
(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a person is guilty of unlawful confinement of a covered farm animal if the person is a farm owner or operator who knowingly tethers or confines any covered animal, on a farm, for all or the majority of any day, in a manner that prevents such animal from:
(1) Lying down, standing up, and fully extending his or her limbs; and
(2) Turning around freely.
(c) This section shall not apply:
(1) During medical, scientific, or agricultural research.
(2) During examination, testing, individual treatment or operation for veterinary purposes.
(3) During transportation.
(4) During rodeo exhibitions, state or county fair exhibitions, 4-H programs, and similar exhibitions.
(5) During the slaughter of a covered animal in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 94, sections 139C and 139D of the General Laws, and other applicable laws and regulations.
(6) To a pig during the seven-day period prior to the pig's expected date of giving birth.
(d) For the purposes of this section:
(1) "Calf raised for veal" means any calf of the bovine species kept for the purpose of producing the food product described as veal.
(2) "Covered animal" means any pig during pregnancy, or calf raised for veal who is kept on a farm.
(3) “Enclosure” means any cage, crate, or other structure (including what is commonly described as a “gestation crate” for pigs; or a “veal crate” for calves used to confine a covered animal).
(4) "Farm" means the land, building, support facilities, and other equipment that are wholly or partially used for the commercial production of animals or animal products used for food or fiber; and does not include live animal markets.
(5) “Farm owner or operator” means any person who owns or controls the operation of a farm, and does not include any non-management employee, contractor, or consultant.
(6)"Fully extending his or her limbs" means fully extending all limbs without touching the side of an enclosure
(7) "Person" means any individual, firm, partnership, joint venture, association, limited liability company, corporation, estate, trust, receiver, or syndicate.
(8)"Pig during pregnancy" means any pregnant pig of the porcine species kept for the primary purpose of breeding.
(9) "Turning around freely" means turning in a complete circle without any impediment, including a tether, and without touching the side of an enclosure.
(e) Any person who violates any of the provisions of this chapter is guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000).
SECTION 2. This chapter shall take effect one year after its passage.
The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The General Court provides this information as a public service and while we endeavor to keep the data accurate and current to the best of our ability, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.