SECTION 1. Chapter 94G of the General Laws is hereby amended by striking out section 3 and inserting in place thereof the following section:-
Section 3. Local control
(a) A municipal government may vote to prohibit the location of marijuana establishments or to prohibit certain types of marijuana establishments within the borders of the municipality by a majority vote of the governing body. Prior to any vote of the municipal government, the body shall hold not less than 1 public hearing and shall notify the residents of the municipality appropriately.
(b) A municipality may adopt ordinances and by-laws that impose reasonable safeguards on the operation of marijuana establishments that:
(1) govern the time, place and manner of marijuana establishment operations and of any business dealing in marijuana accessories;
(2) limit the number of marijuana establishments in the municipality;
(3) restrict the licensed cultivation, processing and manufacturing of marijuana that is a public nuisance;
(4) establish restrictions on public signage related to marijuana establishments; and
(5) establish a civil penalty for violation of an ordinance or by-law enacted pursuant to this subsection, similar to a penalty imposed for violation of an ordinance or by-law relating to alcoholic beverages.
(c) The commission shall not approve an application for a license for a marijuana establishment if the license will violate the provision of any local by-law or ordinance established under subsection (b).
(d) No municipality shall prohibit the transportation of marijuana.
(e) No agreement between a municipality and a marijuana establishment shall require payment of a fee to that municipality that is not directly proportional and reasonably related to the costs imposed upon the municipality by the operation of a marijuana establishment.
The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The General Court provides this information as a public service and while we endeavor to keep the data accurate and current to the best of our ability, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.