Chapter 71 of the General Laws is hereby amended by adding after section 97 the following new section: -
Section 98. (a) The board of elementary and secondary education shall promulgate regulations to ensure that no public school uses an athletic team name, logo, or mascot which names, refers to, represents, or is associated with Native Americans, including aspects of Native American cultures and specific Native American tribes. The board shall establish a date by which any school in violation of said regulations shall choose a new team name, logo, or mascot.
(b) Notwithstanding this section, a public school may continue to use uniforms or other materials bearing their prohibited athletic team name, logo, or mascot that were purchased before a date prescribed by the board if all of the following requirements are met:
(1) The school selects a new school or athletic team name, logo, or mascot;
(2) The school refrains from purchasing or acquiring, for the purpose of distribution or sale to pupils or school employees, any uniform that includes or bears their prohibited team name, logo, or mascot;
(3) The school refrains from purchasing or acquiring, for the purpose of distribution or sale to pupils or school employees, any yearbook, newspaper, program, or other similar material that includes or bears the prohibited school or athletic team name, logo, or mascot in its logos or titles;
(4) The school refrains from purchasing or constructing a marquee, sign, or other new or replacement fixture that includes or bears the prohibited school or athletic team name, logo, or mascot. This paragraph applies to facilities that bear the prohibited school or athletic team name, logo, or mascot, in which case the school shall remove the prohibited name, logo or mascot no later than the next time the associated part of the facility is replaced in the normal course of maintenance.
(5) This section shall not prohibit a Native American tribe, as identified by the commission on indian affairs, located within the boundaries of the commonwealth, from choosing to use a Native-related name or logo for a sports team comprised of its tribal members, including a tribal school or intramural league, or from that tribal nation giving explicit consent for a school to use their particular tribal name.
The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The General Court provides this information as a public service and while we endeavor to keep the data accurate and current to the best of our ability, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.