HOUSE DOCKET, NO. 4169        FILED ON: 4/24/2019

HOUSE  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  No.         

 

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts

_________________

PRESENTED BY:

Russell E. Holmes

_________________

To the Honorable Senate and House of Representatives of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in General
Court assembled:

The undersigned legislators and/or citizens respectfully petition for the adoption of the accompanying bill:

An Act designating the Charlestown division of Boston Municipal Court as the George Lewis Ruffin Courthouse.

_______________

PETITION OF:

 

Name:

District/Address:

Russell E. Holmes

6th Suffolk


HOUSE DOCKET, NO. 4169        FILED ON: 4/24/2019

HOUSE  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  No.         

By Mr. Holmes of Boston, a petition (subject to Joint Rule 12) of Russell E. Holmes for legislation to designate the Charlestown division of Boston Municipal Court as the George Lewis Ruffin courthouse.  The Judiciary.

 

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts

 

_______________

In the One Hundred and Ninety-First General Court
(2019-2020)

_______________

 

An Act designating the Charlestown division of Boston Municipal Court as the George Lewis Ruffin Courthouse.

 

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:
 

The Charlestown District courthouse in the city of Charlestown shall be designated and known as the George Lewis Ruffin Courthouse in honor of the honorable George Lewis Ruffin, the first African American to graduate from Harvard Law School, first African American to serve on the Boston City Council, elected to the Massachusetts Legislature in 1870, and the first African American Judge in the United States that was appointed in 1883 and served in the Charlestown District Court, for his many contributions to the judiciary, the bar and the people of the city of Boston. The division of capital asset management and maintenance shall erect and maintain suitable markers bearing the designation in compliance with the standards of the division