SECTION 1. Chapter 7C of the General Laws is hereby amended by inserting after section 72 the following section:-
Section 73. Notwithstanding any general or special law or rule or regulation to the contrary, a state agency or public agency shall not:
(1) study, plan, design, acquire, lease, search for sites, or construct new correctional facilities as defined in section 1 of chapter 125;
(2) expand the capacity of an existing correctional facility beyond its current design or rated capacity;
(3) convert any part of an existing or dormant correctional facility for the purpose of detention or incarceration, including to change or expand the populations incarcerated in that facility;
(4) renovate an existing or dormant correctional facility beyond requirements for maintenance or to comply with building code requirements; or
(5) repair an existing or dormant correctional facility for the purposes of expanding the facility or increasing its bed capacity.
SECTION 2. Section 73 of chapter 7C of the General Laws shall expire 5 years after the effective date of this act.
The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The General Court provides this information as a public service and while we endeavor to keep the data accurate and current to the best of our ability, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.