Section 17. A protective services agency is authorized:
(1) to receive and investigate reports of abuse;
(2) to furnish protective services to an elderly person with his or her consent;
(3) to petition the court for appointment of a conservator or guardian or for issuance of an emergency order for protective services;
(4) to furnish protective services to an elderly person on an emergency basis as hereinafter provided;
(5) to furnish protective services to a protected person with the consent of such person's guardian or conservator;
(6) to serve as conservator, guardian, or temporary guardian of a protected person; and
(7) to perform all other functions determined by the department to be necessary for the administration of this chapter.