ADMINISTRATION OF THE GOVERNMENT (Chapters 1 through 182)
EXECUTIVE AND ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICERS OF THE COMMONWEALTH
Certification of assisted living residences; exemptions
Section 3. Assisted Living Residences to be Certified; Exemptions. No person shall advertise, operate or maintain an assisted living residence without the certification required by this chapter, including assisted living residences sponsored by the following entities; provided, however, that the provisions of this chapter shall not apply to such entities for the original facilities and services for which said entities were originally licensed or organized to provide:
(1) convalescent homes, nursing homes, rest homes, charitable homes for the aged or intermediate care facilities for persons with an intellectual disability licensed pursuant to section seventy-one of chapter one hundred and eleven;
(2) hospices licensed pursuant to the provisions of section fifty-seven D of chapter one hundred and eleven;
(3) facilities providing continuing care to residents as defined by section seventy-six of chapter ninety-three;
(4) congregate housing authorized by section thirty-nine of chapter one hundred and twenty-one B;
(5) group homes operating under contract with the department of mental health or the department of developmental services; or
(6) housing operated for only those duly ordained priests, or for the members of the religious orders of the Roman Catholic church in their own locations, buildings, residences or headquarters to provide care, shelter, treatment and medical assistance for any of the said duly ordained priests or members of the said religious orders.
The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to elderly housing.