Opened January 1, 1900, Memorial Hall was created to pay tribute to Massachusetts veterans of the Civil War. The circular room is constructed of Italian Sienna marble, with an intricate mosaic floor and semi-circular niches that for many years held the torn and tattered battle flags from this and later conflicts. Reproductions from the State House Flag Collection now appear on the glass-front cases to remind viewers of the extraordinary service and sacrifice of its citizens. Murals illustrating significant events in Massachusetts history adorn the gallery, and the whole is capped by a magnificent stained glass window displaying the seals of the thirteen original colonies. This hall is reserved for veteran's services and other solemn occasions.