Skip to Content
The 192nd General Court of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Section 1: Receiver; petition for appointment

Section 1. If a person entitled to or having an interest in property within the jurisdiction of the commonwealth has disappeared or absconded from the place within or without the commonwealth where he was last known to be, and it is not known where he is, or if such person, having a spouse or minor child, dependent to any extent upon him for support, has disappeared or absconded without making sufficient provision for such support, and it is not known where he is, or if it is known that he is without the commonwealth, anyone who would under the law of the commonwealth be entitled to administer upon the estate of such absentee if he were deceased, or if no one is known to be so entitled, any suitable person, or such spouse, or some one in behalf of such spouse or minor, may file a petition under oath in the probate court for the county where any such property is situated or found, stating the name, age, occupation and last known residence or address of such absentee, the date and circumstances of the disappearance or absconding, and the names and residence of other persons, whether members of such absentee's family or otherwise, of whom inquiry may be made, and the amount of such property, real and personal, so far as known, and its location within the commonwealth, praying that a receiver of such property be appointed under this chapter. The state treasurer shall be made a party to every such petition and shall be given due notice of all subsequent proceedings under this chapter.