Section 8: Notice of certain unclaimed property; publication; form
Section 8. (a) The treasurer shall cause a notice to be published, not later than March first or, in the case of life insurance companies, September first of the same year following the report, at least once a week for two consecutive weeks in a newspaper of general circulation which is printed in English in each county in which an apparent owner had a last known address.
(b) Each published notice shall be entitled ''notice of names of persons appearing to be owners of unclaimed property'', and shall contain the names in alphabetical order of:—
(1) those apparent owners listed in the reports as having a last known address within the county;
(2) those apparent owners listed as having a last known address outside this commonwealth or as having no last known address in a report filed by a holder with his principal place of business within the county; and
(3) the insured or annuitant in the case of funds described in section five A if: (i) the report does not list the name of the apparent owner and his last known address; and (ii) the last known address of the insured or annuitant is within the county.
(c) Each published notice shall also contain:
(1) a statement that information concerning the amount or description of the property and the name and address of the holder may be obtained by any persons possessing an interest in the property by addressing an inquiry to the treasurer.
(d) The treasurer is not required to publish in such notice any items of less than one hundred dollars value unless he deems such publication to be in the public interest.
(e) By March first or September first in the case of life insurance companies, the treasurer shall mail a notice to each person having an address listed therein who appears to be entitled to property of the value of one hundred dollars or more presumed abandoned under this chapter.
(f) The mailed notice shall contain:—
(1) a statement that, according to a report filed with the treasurer, property is being held to which the addressee appears entitled;
(g) This section shall not apply to sums payable on traveler's checks, money orders, and similar written instruments that are presumed abandoned under section six B.