Skip to Content
The 190th General Court of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Section 1001: Remedies for breach of trust

[Text of section applicable as provided by 2012, 140, Sec. 66.]

Section 1001. Remedies for breach of trust

(a) A violation by a trustee of a duty the trustee owes to a beneficiary shall be a breach of trust.

(b) To remedy a breach of trust that has occurred or may occur, the court may:

(1) compel the trustee to perform the trustee's duties;

(2) enjoin the trustee from committing a breach of trust;

(3) compel the trustee to redress a breach of trust by paying money, restoring property or other means;

(4) order a trustee to account;

(5) appoint a special fiduciary to take possession of the trust property and administer the trust;

(6) suspend the trustee;

(7) remove the trustee;

(8) reduce or deny compensation to the trustee;

(9) subject to section 1012, void an act of the trustee, impose a lien or a constructive trust on trust property or trace trust property wrongfully disposed of and recover the property or its proceeds; or

(10) order any other appropriate relief.