NCSL Logo 2018 Online Democracy Award Winner
Skip to Content
The 191st General Court of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Section 1: Suspension of execution; payment of fine; probation; revocation of suspension; exceptions

Section 1. When a person convicted before a court is sentenced to imprisonment, the court may direct that the execution of the sentence, or any part thereof, be suspended and that he be placed on probation for such time and on such terms and conditions as it shall fix. When a person so convicted is sentenced to pay a fine and to stand committed until it is paid, the court may direct that the execution of the sentence, or any part thereof, be suspended for such time as it shall fix and in its discretion that he be placed on probation on condition that he pay the fine within such time. If the fine does not exceed two hundred dollars and the court finds that the defendant is unable to pay it when imposed, the execution of the sentence shall be suspended and he may in its discretion be placed on probation, unless the court shall find that he will probably default, or that such suspension will be detrimental to the interests of the public. If he is committed for nonpayment of a fine, the order of commitment shall contain a recital of the findings of the court on which suspension is refused. The fine shall be paid in one payment, or in part payments, to the probation officer, and when fully paid the order of commitment shall be void. The probation officer shall give a receipt for every payment so made, shall keep a record of the same, shall pay the fine, or all sums received in part payment thereof, to the sheriff if such fine is imposed in the superior court, or to the clerk of the court if such fine is imposed in the district court, at the end of the period of probation or any extension thereof, and shall keep on file the sheriff's or clerk's receipt therefor. If during or at the end of said period the probation officer shall report that the fine is in whole or in part unpaid, and in his opinion the person is unwilling or unable to pay it, the court may either extend said period, place the case on file or revoke the suspension of the execution of the sentence. When such suspension is revoked, in a case where the fine has been paid in part, the defendant may be committed for default in payment of the balance.

The provisions of this section shall not permit the suspension of the execution of the sentence of a person convicted of a crime punishable by death or imprisonment for life. In granting probation under this section, the court shall include in its terms and conditions of probation that the person convicted shall pay any child support due under a support order, as defined in section 1A of chapter 119A, including payment toward any arrearage of support that accrues or has accrued or compliance with any payment plan between the person convicted and the IV?D agency as set forth in said chapter 119A.

When a person is sentenced by a court upon conviction of any crime, he shall be informed by the probation department on a form provided by the department of criminal justice information services that he will have a criminal record that may be accessible to the public under certain conditions, and of his rights pertaining thereto, as provided in sections one hundred and sixty-seven through one hundred and seventy-eight of chapter six.