Skip to Content
The 192nd General Court of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Section 10: Services for residents

Section 10. (a) The sponsor of the assisted living residence shall provide or arrange for the provision of the following:

(1) Opportunities for socializing and access to community resources.

(2) For all residents whose service plans so specify, such services, supervision of and assistance with activities of daily living including, at a minimum, assistance with bathing, dressing and ambulation.

(3) Up to three meals daily.

(4) Housekeeping.

(5) For all residents whose service plans so specify, self-administered medication management by personnel meeting standards for professional qualifications and training set forth in the regulations.

(6) Ability to provide timely assistance to residents and to respond to urgent or emergency needs, by the presence of twenty-four hour per day on-site staff capability, by the provision of personal emergency response devices for all residents or similar means for the purpose of signaling such staff, and by such other means as the department may deem necessary for each assisted living residence, taking into account the service plans of its residents.

(7) Laundry services at a fee if necessary.

(b) The sponsor of the assisted living residence may provide or arrange for the provision of additional services, including the following:

(1) Barber/beauty services, sundries for personal consumption, and other amenities.

(2) Local transportation for medical and recreational purposes.

(3) Assistance with and supervision of instrumental activities of daily living.

(c) The sponsor may arrange for, but may not use assisted living residence staff for, unless such staff is specifically licensed for the provision of ancillary services for health-related care, such as physician, pharmacist, restorative therapies, podiatry, hospice, home health.

(d) No personnel of an assisted living residence shall control or manage the funds or property of an assisted living resident. If the resident is unable to manage their funds or property, money management and other financial arrangements should be made with an independent party.