Section 165. The Massachusetts fire training council shall be the sole certifying agency for the certification and training of all levels of fire service personnel within the commonwealth and shall have statutory responsibility for the following:
(1) the establishment and certification of firefighting standards for recruit firefighters and a uniform training curriculum for all other levels of fire service personnel;
(2) the establishment of requirements for instructors employed in the Massachusetts firefighting academy;
(3) the establishment and promulgation of such rules and regulations for the operation of the Massachusetts firefighting academy;
(4) the location of the Massachusetts firefighting academy and area training centers;
(5) the establishment of standards for conducting training by the Massachusetts firefighting academy; and
(6) an annual review and approval of standards and the courses and curriculum offered by the Massachusetts firefighting academy.
The council shall consult and cooperate with any employing fire service agency, state university, college, community college, regional vocational school or other educational institution and the division of personnel administration concerning the development of firefighter training standards and facilities.
The council may provide for such necessary services to local fire training centers as are needed to meet standards established pursuant to this section.
The council may delegate to the director of the Massachusetts firefighting academy any such authority it deems appropriate for the operation of said academy.