Section 29. (a) The commissioner in cooperation with the commissioner of mental health and the commissioner of education shall carry out educational programs designed to prevent and deter misuse and abuse of controlled substances. In connection with these programs he shall:
(1) promote better recognition of the problem of misuse and abuse of controlled substances within the regulated industry and among interested groups and organizations;
(2) assist the regulated industry and interested groups and organizations in contributing to the reduction of misuse and abuse of controlled substances;
(3) consult with interested groups and organizations to aid them in solving administrative and organizational problems;
(4) evaluate procedures, projects, techniques and controls conducted or proposed as part of educational programs on misuse and abuse of controlled substances;
(5) disseminate the results of research on misuse and abuse of controlled substances to promote a better public understanding of what problems exist and what can be done to combat them; and
(6) assist the attorney general in the education and training of state and local law enforcement officials in their efforts to control misuse and abuse of controlled substances.
(b) The commissioner shall encourage research on misuse and abuse of controlled substances. In connection with the research, and in furtherance of the enforcement of this chapter, he shall:
(1) establish methods to assess accurately the effects of controlled substances and identify and characterize those with potential for abuse;
(2) make studies and undertake programs of research to:
(i) develop new or improved approaches, techniques, systems, equipment and devices to strengthen the enforcement of this chapter;
(ii) determine patterns of misuse and abuse of controlled substances and the social effects thereof; and
(iii) improve methods for preventing, predicting, understanding and dealing with the misuse and abuse of controlled substances; and
(3) enter into contracts with public agencies, institutions of higher education and private organizations or individuals for the purpose of conducting research, demonstrations or special projects which bear directly on misuse and abuse of controlled substances.
(c) The commissioner and the commissioner of mental health may enter into contracts for educational and research activities.