State Senator Jennifer L. Flanagan is a resident of Leominster. She graduated from Leominster High School, received a Bachelor's degree in Political Science from the University of Massachusetts, Boston and a Master's of Science in Mental Health Counseling from Fitchburg State College.
Senator Flanagan began working in the Massachusetts House of Representatives in 1995 as a Legislative Aide, then as Chief of Staff on four legislative committees. She was elected to the House of Representatives for two terms, representing the 4th Worcester District. She was elected to the Massachusetts State Senate in September of 2008 and was sworn in the first week of January 2009. Senator Flanagan now represents Ashby, Bolton, Precincts 1 &2 of Clinton, Fitchburg, Gardner, Lancaster, Leominster, Lunenburg, Sterling, Townsend and Westminster.
Senator Flanagan is on the Board of Directors for Women in Government Caucus. She is also a member of the Regional Transportation Authority Caucus, the Gateway Cities Caucus, the Non-Profit Caucus and the Foster Care Caucus.
Senator Flanagan serves on the following boards in the community: the SHINE Advisory Board and the Leominster Education Foundation. She is an honorary board member of the Gardner Community Action Council.
Senator Flanagan has been appointed to serve on the following committees for the 2015-2016 legislative session: Chair of the Mental Health and Substance Abuse Committee, Chair of the Children and Families and Persons with Disabilities Committee, and Chair of the Special Senate Committee on Opioid Addiction. Senator Flanagan was also appointed as Vice Chair of the Public Health Committee, and is a member of the Public Safety Committee and Homeland Security Committee.
- MDCC Legislator of the Year Award- 2014; Women in Government Board of Directors- 2015
- Environmental Leadership Award 2015- Massachusetts Nursery and Landscape Association; Children's League of Massachusetts Legislator of the Year Award- 2015
- Spectrum Health Systems Legislator of the Year Award- 2015; Associated Behavioral Health Legislative Recognition- 2015
- An Act to Increase Opportunities for Long-Term Substance Abuse Recovery- 2014
Education & Public Service
- 2004 – Fitchburg State College, Master’s of Science, Mental Health Counseling
- 1998 – University of Massachusetts Boston, Bachelors of Science, Political Science
- 1993 – Leominster High School
- 2009 – current Senate Senator Worcester & Middlesex District
- 2005 – 2009 State Representative 4th Worcester District